The Abbie Shelter
HOURS: 40 hours/week + occasional On-Call on nights and weekends
SUPERVISOR: Executive Director
Founded in 1976, The Abbie Shelter’s mission is to promote safety, independence and empowerment for survivors of domestic and sexual violence. For more information, please visit www.abbieshelter.org
- Bachelor’s degree in human services related field
- Commitment to working with high risk populations and persons in crisis; knowledge of social service best practices and local community resources
- Ability to provide confidential and nonjudgmental support to participants towards achieving their goals
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a strong communicator with strong interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
- Ability to work independently and establish clear boundaries; must prioritize personal self-care and wellbeing
- An action-oriented, creative, flexible, and innovative approach to problem solving
- Ability to collaborate successfully with diverse groups of people
- Must have passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude; must be mission-driven
- Good documentation skills
- Ability to legally operate a motor vehicle and provide own transportation
- Provide holistic and individualized case management, personal advocacy and safety planning to all program participants with focus on core mission of safety, independence, and empowerment.
- Respond to calls on the crisis hotline during day and night shifts providing safety planning, information and referrals, action plan development, peer counseling, and advocacy with community resources as necessary.
- Provide supportive oversight for volunteer program including recruitment, training and retention. Facilitate monthly volunteer meeting, providing continuing education and support for volunteers. Prepare and distribute monthly call calendar. Maintain a positive relationship with answering service.
- Provide organizational oversight of programs in the shelter including weekly Support Group and Children’s Program with a commitment to program safety and excellence. Encourage and supervise professional development opportunities for group facilitators.
- Facilitate maintenance of all shelter physical plan systems. Facilitate and monitor acquisition of shelter supplies and storage of in-kind donations. Maintain a safe and comfortable living environment for shelter residents.
- Complete shelter documentation and keep statistics as needed.
- Protect confidentiality of client information.
- Provide transport for shelter residents when eligible.
- Must be able to lift 40 lbs.
- Other duties as assigned.
Please email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 15th.