The Montana Community Foundation creates a culture of philanthropy so Montana Communities can flourish. Established in 1988, the Foundation works with individuals, families, other nonprofit organizations, businesses and professional advisors to create mutually beneficial relationships in support of our shared vision. As a statewide community foundation, MCF serves a role in identifying and addressing the state’s most persistent challenges, and inclusively unites people, institutions and resources to produce significant, widely shared and lasting changes to better the lives of Montanans. Building on a solid base of strong performance, the Foundation seeks a new team member dedicated to achieving our goal of being recognized as “The Go-To Place for Philanthropy in Montana.”
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Position Summary: In support of the Foundation’s mission, the Marketing and Communications Director is an integral part of a small team of professionals dedicated to supporting philanthropy for Montana. The position works closely with the CEO, CFO, Development Officer and Program Directors in achieving the organization’s objectives. The position is responsible for designing, planning and implementing all of the Foundation’s marketing strategies, marketing communications, and public relations activities, both external and internal.
Primary Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Marketing, communications and public relations
1. Responsible for creating, implementing and measuring the success of:
a. comprehensive marketing, communications and public relations program that will enhance the Foundation’s image and position, and facilitate internal and external communications; and
b. all Foundation marketing, communications and public relations activities and materials including publications, electronic media, media relations, donor acquisition and so forth.
2. Ensure articulation of the Foundation’s desired image and position, assure consistent communication of image and position throughout the Foundation, and assure communication of image and position to all constituencies, both internal and external.
3. Responsible for editorial direction, design, production and distribution of all Foundation publications. This includes production of the Foundation’s newsletter, designing financial fund reports for constituents, and other publications as appropriate. A high level of writing proficiency is required.
4. Manage the Foundation’s electronic media efforts including the Foundation’s web site and social media efforts.
5. Direct and administer the Foundation’s online community on its website including troubleshooting access issues for constituents.
6. Coordinate and grow media interest in the Foundation and ensure regular contact with target media and appropriate response to media requests.
7. Coordinate the appearance of all Foundation print materials such as letterhead, use of logo, brochures, etc.
8. Develop, coordinate and oversee programs, technical assistance and resource materials to assist professional advisors and local community foundations in the marketing, communications and positioning of their activities.
9. Ensure that the Foundation regularly conducts relevant market research and coordinate and oversee this activity. Monitor trends.
10. Leads projects as assigned, such as cause-related marketing and special events.
Planning and budgeting
1. Responsible for the achievement of marketing/communications/public relations mission, goals and financial objectives. Ensure that evaluation systems are in place related to these goals and objectives and report progress to the Chief Executive Officer.
2. Develop short- and long-term plans and budgets for the marketing/communications/public relations program and its activities, monitor progress, assure adherence and evaluate performance.
3. Recommend short- and long-term Foundation goals and objectives to the Chief Executive Officer.
4. Develop, implement and monitor systems and procedures necessary to the smooth operation of the marketing/communications/public relations function.
5. Keep informed of developments in the fields of marketing, communications and public relations, not-for-profit management and governance, [and the specific business of the Foundation and use this information to help the Foundation operate with initiative and innovation].
1. Work with Foundation staff and volunteers to develop and maintain a strategic perspective — based on marketplace and constituent needs and satisfaction — in organizational direction, program and services, and decision-making; and,
2. Help make sure that the Foundation’s philosophy, mission and vision are pertinent and practiced throughout the organization.
3. Develop and coordinate means to seek regular input from the Foundation’s key constituencies regarding the quality of programs and services and the Foundation’s relevance.
4. Help formulate and administer policies to ensure the integrity of the Foundation.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in the design and execution of marketing, communications and public relations activities.
- Strong creative, strategic, analytical, organizational and personal sales skills.
- Proven self-starter who thrives working in a team environment.
- Demonstrated successful experience writing press releases, making presentations and negotiating with media.
- Experience overseeing the design and production of print materials and publications.
- Experience managing web content, design and social media.
- Strong project management and organizational skills. Ability to use time effectively to prioritize and manage multiple projects with time-sensitive deadlines.
- Highly developed, expert professional writing skills.
- Competency in word processing, database management, social media, web design, and page layout.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- Impeccable attention to detail.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Experience developing and managing budgets.
- Out-of-town, overnight travel is required.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in marketing, communications or public relations with demonstrated success, preferably in the not-for-profit or association sector.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, marketing or public relations preferred.
- Experience working with volunteers is desirable.
To apply for this position, submit cover letter, current resume and three references to:
email@example.com. Review of candidates will begin March 31, 2014.
Salary negotiable commensurate with experience.